RE: No response: sweaty surveys

Tom,

I'm going to give my opinion - it isn't worth much.

Everyone sweats  (I have heard of people without sweat glands);  especially
when performing physical labor.  It's true that some alpha contamination, if
present, will be attenuated by the sweat and go undetected.  This is a known
and acceptable risk.  If the individual is crapped up bad enough, it is
going to be detected.  A nuclear facility is not a laboratory setting.
What's the difference between sweat + alpha contamination and a tritium
facility - I have a better chance of detecting the alpha.  When we have a
situation such as this we have a few options:
-  quit, or
-  accept the risk and make sure our routine survey, bioassay, PPE, and RWP
programs are the best they can be, i.e., do our best to make sure that no
one can get crapped up.

What is the auditor suggesting (anything)?  Maybe we can get a development
contract and come up with the convection oven PCM.

Randy Redmond
Lockheed Martin Energy Systems
Radiological Control Organization
Email:  rxq@Y12.doe.gov