Re: A question about medical training

ruth_weiner wrote:

> So my question is: what is taught currently in medical school and pre-med
> courses about ionizing radiation?  could someone give me a summary?

My Bro received a single hour (not semester-hour - clock hour) of
radiation safety in dental school at the U of Tenn at Memphis.  The
instruction was of the "don't look into the thing and push the
button" type.

>How much is a doctor expected to know (he sends people for x-rays, after all)?

Doctors know everything, right?

Seriously, from what I've seen, nothing.  If they're motivated to
learn beyond what is required, some may learn enough to interpret
their dosimetry reports but I've never run into a private practice
doc who knows enough about radiation safety to even be an HP tech.
I have some pertty wild war stories but I'll save 'em for now. :-)

> Was this person just trying to see if I knew what I was talking about?

Probably not.

John

--
John De Armond