Shopping for portable gamma spec system

Greetings, Radsafers-

We're shopping around for a very portable gamma spec system that could be used in the field to do simple radionuclide IDs.  I have seen 3 or 4 different brands, ranging from about $2000 to $7500, all with NaI detectors.  The more expensive units have radionuclide libraries and radionuclide ID software.  The less expensive one gives you a spectrum and some storage capability, but no fancy ID capability.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of units such that they could provide recommendations or warnings?  What features do you like?  Which features are a waste?  Does the ID function really work on a relatively low resolution detector like an NaI?

Is a NaI probe the best choice when you need resolution more than sensitivity? (Note- we don't need resolution to the point that we're willing to haul around a GeLi/dewar system).  How about a CdTe type detector (or something else besides the NaI)?  I have no experience with these.  Do they provide any advantages over NaI?  What about their cost?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!  If it's easier for you, send me an email with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Regards,

John R. Laferriere, CHP
DuPont Pharmaceuticals Co.
Medical Imaging Division