Re: Dosimeters

We are looking for a dosimeter that can be used to measure a dose of
100,000 Rad as a quality assurance "tag" for projects going to a Co-60

irradiator for irradiation.  Anyone know of a way to do this?

I have visited a Co-60 irradiation facility some years ago. At the
time, the facility made use of red perspex strips. The perspex is
coloured by a radiosensitive dye, and discoloration of the dye is
proportional to the dose received. They read them in a
spectro-photometer.

The dose range was quoted as 5 to 50 kGy (500 to 5 000 000 Rad).

According to the facility they obtain the perspex strips from a company
called Harwell in the UK.

Du Toit Volschenk
Radiation Protection Service
South African Bureau of Standards