RE: Medical training war stories

Hi everyone:

The subject is medical war stories, allow me to spin my tale.  I was being tested for a peochromacytoma and the diagnostic tool was Iodine 131.  The person whom was injecting 5 mCuries (approximation, it was over 12 years ago) myself opened up the container pulled out the vile with no gloves on - he then put gloves on, injected me and placed the spent vile and associated syringe/needle into a biohazard bin.  the needle was also clipped and placed in a sharps receptacle.  Then I was sent to the room to which I laid on the diagnostic table. You should have seen those counts map out.

Anyway no one told me how "hot" I was or to how I could affect others or contaminate areas!  I got back to the lab and gieger counted myself - it was like hearing bacon sizzle or an egg being placed into bacon grease.  I then counted my urine - hundreds of thousands of counts in a scintillation counter.  Thankfully I had worked in Oak Ridge and had a good understanding of what I needed to do.  The point being that not a word was spoken about any warnings or how
not to spread contamination (I did take cold Iodine chasers).  This certainly was not proper. What if I wanted to father a child, or cook or lay next to someone? Conclusion: there are professionals who really need to be educated.  That's why I like the radsafers - thanks everyone!

                             Tom
--

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com