Re: NIRS anti-nuclear activity summer 2000

July 22

	Ruth Weiner asked who was funding NIRS, and its anti-nuclear campaign
hauling around a fake rad waste cask.

	This is from the NIRS web site:

<<
	NIRS relies on contributions from citizens across the world to support our
efforts for a nuclear-free planet. Our 1999 base budget is about
$500,000--to fully meet the needs of citizens groups across the globe will
cost about $750,000. That's just about 5% of what the U.S. nuclear power
industry alone will spend to promote new nuclear reactors, unsafe
radioactive waste dumps, and an energy policy that threatens us all.

	We hope you'll help. Please join Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, the Indigo
Girls, Bob Weir, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Whoopi Goldberg, Bruce Cockburn,
Dean Stockwell, and other well-known and lesser-known but vital NIRS
supporters and contribute financially and/or with your time. All new
contributions during 1999 will be matched--2 for 1--by an anonymous donor
who has generously made a NIRS 2000 challenge grant! NIRS is a 501(c)(3)
organization; donations are tax-deductible in the U.S.

	Note the anti-nuclear singers and actors.  (Bob Weir is a member of the
Grateful Dead.  Is there a joke in there?)  Jackson Browne has been on the
anti-nuclear circuit since at least 1978.  I went to a JB concert about
that time, and his followers were selling Browne T-shirts to raise money
for anti-nuclear organizing and agitating.  I wonder who the anonymous
donor is who made that challenge grant.

	Note also that NIRS enjoys tax exempt status.

	Rosalie Bertell is on the 1998 National Advisory Board.  In 1998 Ben and
Jerry (ice cream) was a supporter of NIRS.

Steven Dapra
sjd@swcp.com