Re: MDs and radiological sciences

Excellent discussion.  And I am aware of the tremendous amount of
information medical practitioners must have these days.  However, if I were
a patient and my medical practitioner (doctor) told me to have an x-ray, I'd
want, at least, the comfort of knowing that he knew the effect on me of that
x-ray.  It is the same thing as if he were to prescribe some medicine.  I
would expect him to know the effects, good and bad, of that medicine.  And
so on.  The, to me, excuse that there is too much to know just doesn't
wash.  Any doctor who doesn't know what effect something he does to me has,
must at least tell me that he doesn't know.  I have had extremely difficult
times in getting radiologists and nuclear medicine doctors to tell me my
effective dose when they give me radionuclides or x-rays or other treatments
that expose me to ionizing radiation.  When I ask what effect those
treatments have on me the answer is always, "Don't worry about it" or "There
are no effects."  When my wife underwent breast irradiation of 5000
rads/breast, I asked the doctor what her whole body dose was.  He said, "Oh,
nothing."  When I measured the dose, it was 28 rem effective dose.  That's
not nothing!  I think the medical profession in general has no idea what
doses it is giving the public and, worse, doesn't care.  Now, I know, that
statement is rather strong.  But when I hear that doctors don't get any
training in radiation effects, that there is too much to know so don't try
and get them to know more, and with my own experience with their ignorance,
I don't think it is too strong.  The real question is what, if anything, to
do about it.  Perhaps nothing, but, if so, it should be a reasoned nothing,
not just, "There's too much to know."  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net