MDs and radiological sciences

Having taught medical students for more than a quarter
century, I think I may be entitled to enter some comments.
Are HPs aware that medical education encompasses
essentially all of modern biology, most of chemistry, a big
chunk of physics, plus a number of lesser subjects.  It is
simply not possible to provide expertise in depth in the
whole gamut.  Enter specialty training, where the breadth
is greatly diminished but depth is increased.  I teach
radiobiology to our residents now in specialty training for
diagnostic radiology.  Some years ago, I had the equivalent
of a one semester hour course to cover this--modest but
adequate.  Now, with the advent of more clinical
procedures (magnetic resonance, computed tomography,
ultrasound, positron emission tomography, interventional
angiography, etc.) I have only 5 lecture hours.  I
understand that this is probably typical of other radiology
residency programs.
Most diagnostic imaging procedures deliver very small
radiation doses to patients.  The upper limit is of the
order of 10 mGy, for some CT, angiography, etc.  In my
teaching I try to point out that there is now disagreement
among competent scientists as to the presence and/or extent
of risk from these procedures.  We conclude that if there
is a risk, it must be vanishingly small, and never
sufficient to warrant cancellation of a medically justified
procedure.
Some interventional procedures deliver larger doses.
Epilation, erythema, and even moist desquamation are not
unknown.  These involve doses of the order of a few Gy, and
harmful sequellae might be expected.  However, these
procedures are generally livesaving and may eliminate
extensive surgery, the risk of which may be much greater.

I think that the best we can hope for is some in-depth
knowledge among radiologists but less in other physicians.
I try to emphasize to my radiology students (and to other
medical students in my infrequent contacts with them) that
when faced with a radiation exposure problem they should
not rely on their memory, but rather should contact their
friendly academic medical center for current information.

Finally, I wonder why HPs do not relegate these issues to
radiobiologists, who are really the competent ones to
evaluate available data.  I know that when I (as a
radiobiologist) dabble in physics I can easily
misunderstand some of the sophisticated issues.  My
physicist friends tell me they experience the same when
they get into modern biology.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-1477
Professor, Emeritus                       FAX: 615-322-1474
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
209 Oxford House
Nashville TN 37232-4245        Email:j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu
"Under democracy each party always devotes its chief energies
to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to
rule -- and both commonly succeed, and are right."
                -- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)