RE: Request info about on Rad Batteries

That was most likely RNA memory.

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Neil, David M [mailto:neildm@id.doe.gov]
		Sent:	Monday, July 24, 2000 6:18 AM
		To:	Multiple recipients of list
		Subject:	RE: Request info about on Rad Batteries

		You're right.  That's what I get for relying on protein
memory instead of
		electromagnetic.

		Josephson junctions are part of a SQUID (the sensor, not the
mollusk).

		They are, in fact, thermocouples.

		Dave Neil		neildm@id.doe.gov

		The only difference between death and taxes is that death
doesn't get worse
		every time Congress meets.    Will Rogers

		On Thursday, July 20, 2000 11:44 AM, Ted de Castro
[SMTP:tdc@xrayted.com]
		wrote:
		> Are you SURE??
		>
		> I've always seen the refrigerator units referred to as
"peltier" cells -
		> or employing the Peltier effect.
		>
		> And - when I worked on SNAP's 19 and 27 - they were simply
called
		> "thermopiles" - composed of thermocouples.
		>
		> "Neil, David M" wrote:
		> >
		> > As mentioned a few weeks ago on a similar subject, the
portion of the
		> > Radioactive Thermal Generator (RTG) that converts the
decay heat to
		> > electrical energy is an array of Josephson junctions,
sometimes called a
		> > Josephson pile.  If your student has access to one of
those 12V picnic
		> > cooler/warmers, they contain one which could be used for
		demonstration,
		> > with some sort of temperature differential. (They work
both ways;
		electrical
		> > > thermal and thermal > electrical )
		> >
		> > Dave Neil               neildm@id.doe.gov
		> >
		> > You are not just a number to this government agency. You
are three
		numbers,
		> > a dash, two more numbers, another dash, and four more
numbers.

		> > On Thursday, July 20, 2000 9:41 AM, John Pickering
		> > [SMTP:johnjp@email.sjsu.edu] wrote:
		> > > Info is needed on radioactive batteries and/or
radioactive materials
		used
		> > as
		> > > a power source in such items as space equipment. One
of our students
		> > > (Nuclear Chemistry) is doing a report on the use of
radioactive
		sources
		> > used
		> > > as batteries. The student found very little
information on the
		internet
		> > > (which is the primary resource for this class). Can
anyone refer me to
		an
		> > > information source or have knowledge they can share?
		> > >
		> > > His report will be due by Monday morning.
		> > >
		> > > My email is johnjp@email.sjsu.edu
		> > > My fax is (408) 924-5037
		> > >
		> > > Many thanks. This group has become very useful for our
classes to
		locate