Re: TMI, Hershey, and radioactive milk? Jane Rickover

Sandy Perle wrote:

> So we're now to believe Jane Rickover. Last I heard, hearsay isn't
> even allowed in a court of law. Ms Rickover relays what the Admiral
> said .. how convenient, when it's her word that is being notorized.
> Nothing that proves the statement was actually made. And why didn't
> Rickover ever put these thoughts in writing? If he actually tried to
> have pres Carter cover up the issues, he could have then written them
> to a reputable organization .. if he really felt as bad as his
> daughter-in-law stated. And what anti-nuclear groups is she a regular
> member of?

He very well may have said something like that in 1983 but he would
have forgotten it the next minute.  I had the unfortunate occasion
to have to share my office at TMI-1 with Rickover after GPU hired
him as a "consultant" as an ill-fated effort at image cleansing.  By
then he was a somewhat senile old man who spent most of his time
grumping because no one saluted him nor obeyed his orders.  On many
days I'm not sure he knew where he was.  GPU cut him loose pretty
quickly when it became evident that the PR stunt hadn't worked so
perhaps he held a grudge. Or perhaps he was mad because he wasn't
chosen to head the Kemeny Commission. Who knows?  As I recall, he
died a few weeks or months after leaving TMI.  I'd be surprised if
his in-law had an opportunity to spend much time with him in that
interval.

As for cover-ups, the company kept the rest of us up to date on what
was happening via something they called "TDRs" (technical data
report, I think.)  These were technical reports written by the
engineers involved and went into great detail about what was
happening.  Since that all that was necessary to publish a TDR was
to write it up and then get the section head to approve it, there's
not much way GPU could have orchestrated a coverup site-wide other
than to stop the TDR publication entirely.  That they surely didn't
do.  I have boxes full of 'em somewhere in my old files.  There's
more than enough radiologica data in those reports to satisfactorily
address this issue.

--
John De Armond
johngdSPAMNOT@bellsouth.net