From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu [mailto:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]On
Behalf Of Jerry Cohen
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 7:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: "Scientific Evidence"

Sandy, Ted, Fritz, et al,
    As I recall, about 15 years ago there was a flurry of interest and
activity on establishing a formal  probability of causation (PC) methodology
including congressional inquiries. I was somewhat involved in it as a
consultant to EPRI. A relatively complicated procedure involving type of
cancer, time of onset, time(s) of exposure, BEIR estimates, and many other
factors evolved. Papers on the subject were published, and, as I recall the
"nuclear industry" was accused by the anti's of using this approach to avoid
their responsibility for
the "cancer epidemic" they created. I don't know what, if anything, became
of the PC concept. Perhaps, the lawyers were incapable of dealing with
probabilistic concepts which don't fit in well in a world of "guilty or not
guilty".  Maybe, someone can tell us whether PC is still alive, and if not,
why not.