Re: Trial Ordered in Egypt Case

Dear colleagues,

 I have not enough evidence on this case, once there is not any Official
information, either from Egyptian Regulatory Authority or IAEA on the
Radiological Accident in Egypt.  However AP has been providing us good
material. Thanks to Sandy to collect them and to share with us.

My understanding in this particular accident, taking into account only the
press information, is that the Egyptian Authority works quickly on
responsibilities. My curiosity in Egypt, as well in Thailand and Turkey, is
with the respect the Regulatory Authorities responsibilities. Do not seems
to me that only the licensee and workers should be responsible, but also the
Regulatory Authority, unless the Regulatory Authority could prove, as we did
in Goiania, that were assessed previously the licensee activities and
workers qualification and they were found OK!

In Goiania I, as Regulatory Authority Staff Member and the Regulatory
Authority, as Institution, besides the Goias Secretary of Health, were
hardly involved in Federal and State Police and Court investigation.

It was very hard at that time for me, to be the General Response Coordinator
in Goiania, and at the same time, being investigated by the Federal Police.

Just my opinion

Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il

----

Trial Ordered in Egypt Case

CAIRO, Egypt (AP) - A prosecutor on Wednesday ordered eight people to
stand trial for manslaughter and negligence after they allegedly left
behind radioactive materials at a construction site that killed a
father and his son.

The eight - the owner of a welding company and seven employees - face
up to life in prison if convicted, said security officials said. A
date for the trial has yet to be set.

After Hassan Fadel Hassan and his 9-year-old son died last month of
radiation sickness, authorities discovered radioactive iridium in his
home in the village of Mit Halfa, 18 miles north of Cairo.

The material was allegedly left behind at a construction site by the
welding company, which had been repairing a natural gas pipeline in
the village and forgotten the radioactive metal after work was
finished. Hassan found it and took it home believing it was valuable.

Iridium is used at construction sites to take X-rays to look for
flaws at points where pieces of metal have been welded together.

Hassan, 60, took his wife, sister and four children to the hospital
on June 22 after the whole family developed skin discoloration. Hours
later, Hassan's son died. The family moved to a hospital in Cairo,
where Hassan died a few days later.