Re: Trial Ordered in Egypt Case

Dear colleagues,

I recently joined the mailing list. I am collecting information for an
paper on 'orphan source incidents' and also for educational purposes. I
searched the radsafe archives. Jose and Sandy seem to score high on the
list for providing good and actual information.
I agree with Jose and also I thank Sandy for his actual updates.

But also I want to address the international non destructive testing
-community.
I am working as a radiation protection advisor in the ndt-field.
On the one hand I regret that incidents occur, but on the other hand they
are a very useful source for upgrading 'safety awareness'. In the past I
was very keen on providing to much 'sensational stories' during education.
My own experience however is that experienced operators do open up their
eyes during refresher training, when they are confronted again with the
danger of their work (for themselves and for others). It seems that after a
while even good trained and well performing operators do slip into the
routines.

Operators sometimes forget that they have a very responsible job.
This counts even more for the company owners and supervisors who are the
decision makers how much time and money is spent on safety-awareness.  But
also radiation protection officers should be in close contact with the
field-operators to give the feedback in the field.

We should not forget that industrial radiographers often are confronted
with tight schedules.
I believe it is a partly due to common habit, grown through tough
competition, and lesser level of safety awareness in the past.  But gladly
habits have changed and keep changing into the proper direction.  The
international ndt-community is improving worldwide, for instance by
requiring proper safety qualification schemes. (good practices can be seen
in the western countries Canada, USA, Europe in general).  These
improvements are not only due to tighter regulations. They also result from
a growing awareness inside the ndt-community.  And that is exactly the
place where the action lies.  Even if the regulatory authority is well
organized, this does not automatically result in good field practices.

We should also look at the people who are responsible for the tight
planning of construction work.
For instance during turn-around maintenance, ndt-work must be finished in
the nightshift otherwise delays are very costly.  And turn-around-times and
production schedules are still getting shorter.  I can imagine that under
stressful conditions, the extra time needed for taking the appropriate
measures again and again after a while gets a nuisance. We have the company
policy to communicate with the constructor, also during the projects, to
allow for enough time-space to do the work properly and safely. Also staff
and operators are more aware that we do not ask to violate safetyrules to
keep up with the planning, but to take enough time for safety and stop
whenever necessary. In this they are given backup by their supervisors.
Most of the times it is no problem to allow for more time.

Nowadays, much useful worldwide information comes available, for instance
through the IAEA.
We as western practitioners do also have the responsibility to assist the
international community to share our own experience and knowledge.
Hopefully we eventually get lesser and lesser fatal examples.

Paul van Rooijen
Manager HSE
AIB-Vinçotte Nederland BV
Postbus 6869