Re: congressional testimony by Steve Wing

Franz, I appreciate your message but will only comment on the part that
refers to Gofman.  Gofman was indeed a well-published and quite well
respected scientist (biochemist, I believe) and did work under AEC auspices.
In the approximate period 1955-1970, a great deal of secrecy as well as
hyperbole surrounded the entire nuclear endeavor in the U. S. and various
pronuclear agencies and organizations, including the AEC, did overstate the
benefits of nuclear power and publicly underestimate any adverse
environmental and health effects.  (I might point out that during this same
period automobile manufacturers claimed that there was nothing in car
exhaust because it was invisible.  They even put this on TV until the
Federal Trade Commission made them remove it.)

The AEC was both regulator and promoter of nuclear power, and was also the
agency responsible for nuclear weapons design and manufacture, so
inadvertently the whole business was surrounded by secrecy, and people who
asked questions -- perfectly straightforward questions -- about reactors and
safety and so on were looked at suspiciously.  In that atmosphere, Gofman
was initially something of a one-man "truth squad."  Unfortunately, he went
overboard in the other direction and even after the breakup of the AEC in
1974 and the release of a great deal of monitoring data by DOE in 1985, he
kept up the same old accusations against nuclear power, DOE, etc and
exaggerated the dangers of radiation increasingly to the point where his
books are, in places, pretty ridiculous.

I have never understood how someone like Gofman who has a very respectable
scientific background could distort as he does.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com