Re: Comments on Gofman and Tamplin & Municiple Sewage Plant I-131 threads

In a message dated 8/1/00 5:41:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, schoenho@via.at
writes:

>  Thanks, Jacques and Ruth to give the relevant information about Gofman. I
>  did not know about the circumstances of his carreer because I only know
>  about his later work

Radsafers:

In the early to mid-1970s I recall Drs. Gofman and Tamplin co-authored a book
which was issued in paperback, intended for a very general public  readership
titled: "Population Control through Nuclear Pollution". This book made a
number of extrapolated claims of cancer mortality based on all members of the
public being exposed at the limit of what was then allowed under federal law
that I'm sure Dr. Rosalie Bertell would today judge to be quite conservative.

I also recall seeing a paper by Dr. Sternglass presented as part of some AEC
symposium in the late 1960s to very early 1970s in which he reported the
radioactive discharges from the University of Pittsburg Hospital at which he
worked at the time. What struck me in first seeing Dr. Sternglass' data was
the magnitude of the I-131 release he quantified. The U. of Pittsburg
Hospital discharges of I-131 far, far exceeded what any nuclear plant whose
environmental radiation monitoring programs I summarized and reported was
allowed to discharge on an annual basis. Most bizarre.

I wonder if Dr. Sternglass ever developed any correlations between infant
mortality and cancer from the Univ. of Pitt. discharges under his control
since they were so much higher than the typical releases from nuclear plants
in 1972. I'm sure with the reductions in nuclear power plant effluents since
1972 and the increased number of nuclear medicine procedures involving I-131
and host of other radiopharmaceuticals at any hospital, one would see that
the ratio of discharges from a "typical" large hospital like that at the
Univ. of Pittsburg to the typical NPP liquid and even gaseous I-131 effluents
would be even higher today.

Stewart Farber, MSPH
Public Health Sciences
e-mail: radiumproj@cs.com