Re: " plutonium is the most radioactive substance known "

At 17:34 01.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>Interesting quote from Greenpeace...
>
>http://ens.lycos.com/ens/jul2000/2000L-07-31-10.html
>Canada to Fly in Russian Plutonium For Test
>OTTAWA, Ontario, Canada, July 31, 2000 (ENS) - Canada's Transport Ministry
>has approved plans for Russian weapons grade plutonium to be flown to a
>nuclear laboratory in the northern Ottawa Valley.
><SNIP>
>The MOX will have been turned into a ceramic, which cannot spill, ignite or
>burn except at very high temperatures.
>Greenpeace Canada called the plan irresponsible. "Either the government
>doesn't fully understand the risks this plan represents, or it doesn't
>care," said Jo Dufay, Greenpeace Canada campaign director.
>"The plain fact is, plutonium is the most radioactive substance known,

I have got so tired of hearing all the nonsense over and over again since
more than 20 years, that plutonium is the most toxic element on the world
and that a quantity resembling the size of an orange, distributed evenly
over the world, would kill every human being (oops, they never mentioned
the animals!, will they also be killed?), that I enjoy your message,
because it is finally something new! (Do you know that sometimes I use to
be sarcastic?)

Franz

and
>the safest means of ensuring we all are protected against the dangers of
>plutonium is secure storage in Russia."

Wouldn't it be equally safe to be stored safely in the USA, in Canada, in
Germany, in Japan....... Isn't Greenpeace considering these alternatives?
Now some people wonder, why the former Eastern Block Countries accuse us
"Westerners" of "Neocolonialism". It is surprising to hear something like
this from Greenpeace!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458