RE: Consumers Endorse Irradiated Meat in Florida; Food...

Here's my understanding of the meat packing industry.  Most of it comes from
a man who was a company rep for John Morrell.

*	Slaughterhouses are regulated now due to a scathing expose' written
years ago by Upton Sinclair. They used to be pretty nasty, from what I
understand.  They're still no tourist attraction, unless you're seriously
kinky :-)
*	Incoming animals are checked for gross signs of disease
*	Carcasses tainted with urine or feces are to have the tainted areas
removed, or if the contamination extends beyond a limited area, condemned
and used in pet food.
*	Due to the processing method, poultry has an enhanced probability of
fecal contamination; this is why proper handling by the consumer is stressed
so hard, and why poultry is transported frozen. (The 'fresh' poultry in the
meat counter was thawed; fresh just means not frozen instead of never
frozen.)
*	Carcasses are individually inspected by USDA for signs of disease or
other problems: of course the inspectors are only human. Certification is by
the well known purple ink stamp on the carcass itself.  Counterfeit stamps
are not unknown.
*	Condemned carcasses are marked with dye (green or blue), but this
can be circumvented by an unscrupulous packer.

In all, slaughterhouses are unavoidably icky, but not nearly as bad as they
once were; they make an effort to produce a wholesome product, and are
inspected carefully; but there are as many unscrupulous people in this
business as in any other.

Dave Neil		neildm@id.doe.gov

		We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be
Assimilated.