Re: A-bomb survivor tells of torments, appeals for peace

Bill, my point was this:

1.  On Dec. 7, 1941, the United States was not at war with Japan.

2.  The *Japanese* initiated the series of events which led to the dropping of the A-bombs.  They have to bear the primary responsibility for the results of their actions.  If it were not for their initiating actions, there would be no people known as A-bomb survivors.

3.  Who's not for peace??  Who doesn't feel compassion for the victims of war?  Especially the innocents (young and old).  That shouldn't completely negate items 1or 2 above, however.  It is specifically BECAUSE of items 1and 2 above, that we ARE compelled to feel compassion for these people.  AND for the victims of Bataan, Okinawa, Nanking, Manchuria, etc.  Why should the others be left out?

4.  IF the Japanese had NEVER attacked Pearl Harbor, would Health Physics or Radiation Safety exist as we know it today??

5.  IF the Japanese had NEVER attacked Pearl Harbor, would we have nuclear power devoid of the emotional imagery that it is currently burdened with?

I'm sorry to have caused you to be appalled.
v/r
Michael

>>> liptonw%dteenergy.com@internet.pantex.com 03 Aug 00 2:35:30 PM >>>
I am appalled by what seems to be the defensiveness and total lack of compassion on the part of many who responded to this thread.  .....