Re: Consumers Endorse Irradiated Meat in Florida; Food...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patricia Milligan" <PXM@nrc.gov>
To: "Multiple recipients of list" <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: Consumers Endorse Irradiated Meat in Florida; Food...

> A quick check of the public citizen web site shows that the article with
the byline Washington DC is public citizen press release and not a newspaper
article.  They hope, no doubt, that it will get picked up by the media and
reported as news.  One would hope that the news media would actually talk to
the store owners/managers to determine what is actually happening.  I would
bet that if the story is positive, it won't be news.  but those are just my
opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.

> Patricia A Milligan
> pxm@nrc.gov
> 301-415-2223

> The "Battle of the Press Releases!"
>
> Would you trust "AUBURNDALE, Fla." or "WASHINGTON, D.C." (By Ralph Nader)?
:-)

> Regards, Jim
> muckerheide@mediaone.net
> ========================
>
> Bob Flood wrote:
> >
> > >AUBURNDALE, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 2, 2000--Several Florida retail
> > outlets
> > >continue to report stronger than expected sales of irradiated fresh
ground
> > beef.
> > >Store officials at DeLoach's Meat Market in Lakeland and Stuart's Finer
> > Foods in Stuart
> > >say their only problem is keeping the product in stock.
> >
> > >WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Two Florida grocers halted sales of irradiated meat
due
> > >to lack of consumer interest, which resulted in paltry sales. DeLoach's
> > Meat
> > >Market in Lakeland and Stuart's Fine Foods in Stuart decided to stop
> > selling
> > >experimental food products to their customers just days after sales
began.

> > Without fear of contradiction, I can confidently state that BOTH of
those
> > stories can't be true. Both may be untrue, but both cannot be true.
Wonder