nuclear power share, was: loosing, Tooth Fairy Project

At 12:15 03.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>> > How do you explain this world-wide  decline
>> > in nuclear power production?
>
>I couldn't locate the original email in which someone posted the statement
>above, but I wanted to point out that this is not correct.  There has not
>been a world-wide decline in nuclear power production..........

Michael,

My sincere gratulations! You have been the only one on RADSAFE to point out
the facts! I am very disappointed, that there was no fast reaction of other
RADSAFErs to correct this absolutely wrong statement and to confront these
claims with facts. Rather a few ones tried to find an excuse, blaiming
politics and public opinion etc. for a non existing decline, which meant
that they agreed with the wrong information, that electricity production
from NPPs was decreasing.

Well, this is not true at all. I checked the IAEA website in order to be
able to deliver correct numbers. Anybody not believing the numbers given by
me, can look at them on the website
http://www.iaea.org/programmes/a2/index.html. I sincerely believe that
there is unbiased and clear statistical information distributed by the IAEA
- but maybe some anti's will doubt it, as they doubt everything which does
not fit to their way of thinking.

I summarize the information on the IAEA website.

Status as of 31 December 1999:

433 nuclear power plants in operation, total installed capacity of 349
GW(e), 37 NPP under construction.

Connected to the grid in 1999: 4 NPP (France, India, Republic of korea,
Slovak Republic),

Construction started in seven NPP in 1999 (Japan, Republic of Korea, China)

Two NPP's shut down.

NPP's under construction: 36 (Ukraine, Slovakia, Russia, Romania, Pakistan,
Republic of Korea, Japan, Iran, India, Czech Republic, China, Brazil,
Argentina)

Number of Reactors Operation: USA (104), France (59), Japan (53), UK (35),
Russian Federation (29), Germany (19)............ (total:433)

Nuclear Share of Electricity Generation in percent: France (75), Lithuania
(73), Belgium (58), Bulgaria (47), Slovakia (47), Sweden (47), Ukraine
(44), Korea (43), Hungary (38), Aremenia (36), Slovenia (36), Switherland
(36), Japan (36), Finland (33), Germany (31), Spain (31), Ukraine (29),
Czech Republic (21), USA (20), Russia (14), Canada (13).....

Now, come on Edith, I bet that you were not at all aware of the vast
contribution which nuclear power makes to the supply of electricity in the
world, you probably have not been aware of the numbers of existing NPPs,
not of their performance. Talking about that NPPs are sold - there are
thousands, probably hundreds of thousands of power plants sold every year,
and nobody would buy a power plant (whatever the energy source would be),
without wanting to make a profit out of it and to go on producing
electricity - so I suppose only companies can be sold, which make a profit
- what is then so negative and how can you detect any drawbacks of nuclear
power, when they are so profitable that they even can be sold?!

I hardly understand the agitation of most people, opposing nuclear power.
O.K. they may oppose it, there is nothing wrong of having such an opinion,
but what I am always very angry about, is, if they try to justify their
opposition with, what they call "scientific facts", which without any
exceptions proves at closer view as arguments wrongly interpreted, as
falsified, as not checked and in most cases put forward without any real
background, like rumors and hearsays. Ediths comments fall into this
category. I wonder whether she will accept the facts I just wrote down,
whether she is willing to accept and to consider what has been written to
oppose her opinion.

I also miss the response of Edith, which world renowned persons participate
in the "Tooth Fairy Project". I repeat my offer to consult for the question
of Sr-90 in teeth on a scientific basis and I still would like to have my
objections to this project countered - maybe by one of the world renowned
persons which according to Edith work with this project. I am open to any
discussions - as far as it is on the scientific side.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458