Re: "Anti-nuke clamor"

OK so we'd have done an EIS on Lyons or some other site, or on West Valley
expansion, or maybe no EIS at all.  Maybe I'd be doing risk assessments on
transporting SNF to reprocessing plants instead of to a repository (that's
what I am doing).  Maybe I'd have a job instead on the chemistry of
reprocessing.

To use an analogy: the Clean Air Act created a lot of employment opportunity
in dispersion modeling and hazards assessment, as well as regulation.  It
took a certain amount of clamor to get the Act, and it may be that in recent
years some of the standards have gone too far, but the U. S. did need to
regulate and control industrial air pollution, and got that control.  There
is work for dispersion modelers whether the particulate standards are PM10
or PM2.5 or just total particulates.  Similarly, there is radioactive waste,
even HLW, from reprocessing spent fuel.  I'm not even sure the volume per kW
of power produced is less.  Hence there is still a need for disposal
planning, transportation planning, packaging, performance assessment, and
all the rest of it.  If there is no underground storage, there is
above-ground storage, which also requires environmental assessment.  Unless
NEPA and OSHA and the Atomic Energy Act are repealed (unlikely) there will
continue to be a need for environmental assessment (and by the way, even if
there were absolutely no thermal power generation of any sort, the
environmental impacts of other sources like direct solar conversion and
hydroelectric dams would need to be assessed.)

Personally, I'm kind of sorry I responded.  The argument "the anti-nukes are
responsible for creating your job ... no they aren't ... yes they are ... no
they aren't ...yes they are ..." is hardly constructive or enlightening.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com