History: Roger Batzel, directed growth of Livermore Lab's mission

radsafe'rs,

The following obituary was in the 8/3/00 San Jose Mercury
News:

----------
Roger Batzel, directed growth
of Livermore Lab's mission

By Linda Davis
Contra Costa Times

DANVILLE [California, USA] -- A leading figure in Lawrence
Livermore [National] Laboratory's history has died.

Director Emeritus Roger Batzel, who ran the lab from 1971
to 1988, died Saturday [7/28/00] after a heart attack. He
was 78.

Mr. Batzel oversaw the lab during years critical to its
development.

"He played a crucial role in the growth and transition of
our lab from a defense and nuclear facility to a multi-program
institution dedicated to solving the important scientific
issues of our time," said Bruce Tarter, lab director. "Roger
was a fine scientist. I know the employees at the lab join
me in extending our condolences to his family."

Mr. Batzel joined the lab in 1953, a year after it was
established. During his career, he served as the leader of
the chemistry, nuclear testing, space reactors and biomedical
research divisions.

His associate in those early years, physicist Duane Sewell,
recalled Mr. Batzel with respect and fondness.

"He was very sincere, a relatively quiet individual," Sewell
said. "When he spoke to you, you listened. He would talk to a
great number of people before deciding what course of action
to take. He wasn't one to jump at a decision."

Sewell, the lab's deputy director emeritus, continued to share
an office with Mr. Batzel and spoke to him at the lab about
three weeks ago.

"We were talking about classified subjects, same as ever," Sewell
said. "He seemed to be the same old Roger, always very robust,
full of life. We were essentially compatiots through 50 years of
our lives. Yes, I will miss him very much."

During Mr. Batzel's tenure at the lab, it experienced major
growth. In 1971, the lab had 5,400 employees and a budget of
$128 million. When he stepped down in 1988, there were 8,000
employees, 2,000 contract workers and an annual budget of
$185 million.

Mr. Batzel, a native of Idaho, received his bachelor's degree in
chemical engineering from the University of Idaho after serving
as an Air Force navigator during World War II. In 1951, he
received his doctorate in nuclear chemistry at the University of
California-Berkeley, studying under Nobel laureate Glenn Seaborg.

Mr. Batzel led the lab in broadening its technical base. During
his tenure, biomedical and environmental work was expanded to
include studies of chemical hazards and their effects on humans
and the environment. In 1978 the lab began research in seismic
analysis and expanded its study of atmospheric sciences.

During his years as director, Mr. Batzel encouraged and promoted
collaborative research with government, industry and other
laboratories, said spokesman Stephen Wampler.

Mr. Batzel, who served the longest of any lab director, was a
fellow of the American Physical Society and of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science. He received the
Department of Energy's highest award, the Distinguished
Associate Award.

----------
Further information (and the following article below) may be
viewed on the Web at:

  http://www.llnl.gov/llnl/06news/NewsReleases/2000/NR-00-07-06.html

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
News Release
Contact:	Stephen Wampler
		Phone: 925-422-9919
		E-mail: wampler1@llnl.gov
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: Monday, July 31, 2000
NR-00-07-06

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Director Emeritus
Roger Batzel Dies

LIVERMORE, CALIF. — Director Emeritus Roger Batzel, who served
as the director of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for
more than a third of its history, from 1971 to 1988, died
Saturday, July 29. Dr. Batzel was 78.

LLNL Director Bruce Tarter noted that Dr. Batzel oversaw the
Laboratory for 17 years that were very important in its
development. "He played a crucial role in the growth and
transition of our Lab from a defense and nuclear facility to a
multi-program institution dedicated to solving the important
scientific issues of our time," Tarter said. "He was a fine
scientist and a broadly-experienced manager. I know the
employees at the lab join me in extending our condolences to
his family."

Dr. Batzel joined the Laboratory in 1953, a year after LLNL
started, as assistant division leader in Chemistry. During his
career, he served as the leader of the chemistry, nuclear testing,
space reactors and biomedical research directorates.

During his tenure as the Laboratory's sixth director, LLNL
experienced major growth. In 1971, LLNL had 5,400 employees
and a budget of $128 million. When he stepped down in 1988, there
were 8,000 employees, with an additional 2,000 contract workers,
and an annual budget of $815 million.

As LLNL's sixth director, Dr. Batzel succeeded Herb York, 1952-58;
Edward Teller, 1958-60; Harold Brown, 1960-61; John Foster, 1961-65;
and Michael May, 1965-71. Directors who followed Dr. Batzel have
been: John Nuckolls, 1988-94 and Bruce Tarter, 1994 to current.

A native of Idaho, Dr. Batzel received his bachelor's degree in
chemical engineering from the University of Idaho after serving
as an Air Force navigator during World War II. In 1951, he received
his Ph.D. in nuclear chemistry at UC Berkeley studying under Nobel
laureate Glenn Seaborg's direction.

Among his many honors, he was a fellow of the American Physical
Society, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement
of Science and a recipient of one of the Department of Energy's
highest awards, the Distinguished Associate Award.

He is survived by his wife of nearly 54 years, Edwina, of Danville;
daughters, Stella of Washington, and Stacy of San Ramon; son, Roger
of Davis; and grandsons, Chris and Sam of San Ramon.

Private funeral arrangements are pending for Dr. Batzel, who served
the longest tenure of any LLNL director. A memorial service will be
held later for him. In lieu of flowers, the family requests
contributions in Dr. Batzel's memory be made to the American Heart
Association, 11200 Golf Links Road; Oakland, CA 94605.