Re: U.S.-born A-bomb survivor recalls horror, hope of Hiroshima

I certainly agree with Sandy, and I think a similar sentiment can be applied
to federal workers who are now claiming harmful health effects from having
worked at DOE facilities in the 1950s and 1960s.  Anyone aged 30 in 1960
would be 70 now.

I am also moved to comment on Ms. Suyeishi's comment:"A chance meeting with
an American man
>who railed against Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor, however,
>rekindled unpleasant memories. "

A German-born Jewish friend of mine, who was five years old in 1940,
survived the war in Berlin by being hidden by German friends, sometimes with
her mother, sometimes alone.  Both she and her mother are now U. S.
citizens.  If one asks her about the American and British bombing of Berlin,
do you think she would claim it "rekindled unpleasant memories?"  The
victims of the Nazis who survived concentration camps were delighted to see
the bombers over the camps.

I am truly a little tired of the guilt-tripping that Americans are subjected
to by public statements like Ms. Suyeishi's.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com