U.S.-born A-bomb survivor recalls horror, hope of Hiroshima

My note: What should be of interest is that the average age of the
a-bomb survivors is 70. Apparently any death of any individual who
was a survivor, is considered a death caused by the a-bomb itself. In
my opinion, when one lives to well above 70, they're doing pretty
good these days! This is simply another attempt to include all
deaths, regardless of cause, as due to radiation exposure.

U.S.-born A-bomb survivor recalls horror, hope of Hiroshima

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 6 (Kyodo) - By: Seana K. Magee Kaz Suyeishi, a
survivor of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima 55 years ago Sunday,
didn't think she would live through her ordeal, let alone be able to
share her story more than half a century later.

Californian-born Suyeishi's family lived about 1.5 kilometers from
ground zero when the bomb exploded. Her father was outside that
morning and suffered severe burns. The house collapsed on top of
Suyeishi and her mother, while her brother was injured at school.

Like hundreds of thousands of other atomic bomb victims, called
''hibakusha,'' the family experienced the physical and psychological
aftereffects of radiation sickness for years.

Oddly enough, when the 73-year-old looks back on those bleak times,
she remembers the goodness of humanity. When her family was homeless
and hungry, for example, distant friends and relatives brought them
money and food from the countryside.

She never forgot the kindness of those who hand-fed her oranges, the
only food the weak then 18-year-old could eat.

''Even in the middle of the war I found true peace because people
helped and shared with each other,'' the survivor said. ''In those
days people were so poor, but rich inside.''

Despite being born in the United States, Suyeishi was educated in
Japan, and did not return to the U.S. until after the war to study
fashion.

During her postwar days Suyeishi was driven to succeed at school and
did not dwell upon her past. A chance meeting with an American man
who railed against Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor, however,
rekindled unpleasant memories.

Even though she tried to fight the memories and nightmares, they
persisted. When she realized the past could not be buried, Suyeishi
came to believe it was her duty as a U.S. victim of the bombing to
speak out about her past.

''I am proud to say that I am an American with my own experiences to
talk about my story. I want to open the door for people to help each
other,'' she said. ''By helping each other we can keep world peace.''

''Mama-san,'' as she is commonly called, describes herself as a
simple housewife who hopes to plant the seed of peace in each person.
She believes that her contribution to peace is in helping people
learn from the past in order not to repeat it.

While Suyeishi speaks to students throughout the year, each August
she takes part in an annual memorial service held at the Koya-san
Betsuin Temple in the Little Tokyo district of Los Angeles.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205