Re: Sweden says ok to scrap 2nd nuke -CO2 vs. Hg from coal

In a message dated 8/7/00 11:48:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sandyfl@earthlink.net writes:
FROM A NEWS REPORT:

> Environmentalists have warned that deregulation of the Nordic power
>  market means, for instance, that Danish coal-burning power stations
>  can sell cheap power, but the hidden social cost is higher carbon
>  dioxide emissions.

======
Radsafe:
I find it interesting that the only environmental impact mentioned in this
Reuters news article about scrapping some nuclear plants in Sweden is concern
with CO2 from Danish coal-burning. carbon dioxide/greenhouse effect impacts
from coal over the intermediate to long term is still being debated by some
in the scientific community. However, the real present environmental problem
from coal burning across Europe and northern  regions like Sweden and Denmark
is mercury pollution of almost all lakes, even the most pristine from
airborne mercury deposition from fossil fuel combustion. The problem is not
theoretical, or long-term but today.  Lakes all across Scandinavia [and
across the Northern US and southern Canada as well in this region] have been
rendered unsafe for fish consumption for pregnant women and young children
other than a few ounces of fish per month according to standing warnings in
effect by public health agencies.

As a graduate student in the early 1970s involved in a Master's thesis to
measure mercury in the air, I found that Swedish scientists led the world in
Hg research beginning in the 1960s and had documented what was happening with
mercury in the environment in Sweden, a decade or more before mainstream
science in the US even knew the problem existed. For Sweden to take the steps
it is taking to shut down its nuclear capacity and replace it with the
burning of  approximately  6 million tons of coal per year in Denmark or
other countries nearby for each 1,000 MWe of nuclear capacity shut down in
Sweden  is absurd from an environmental perspective, and an abdication of
reason by Swedish science and their government.  For the Greens  and other
Swedish and European anti-nuclear interests to make any claim of doing what
they are doing to meet "ecological goals"  or to advance environmental
stewardship  is hypocritical and opposite to the effect of their actions from
shutting down existing nuclear capacity. I am sure when the present mercury
pollution environmental problems worsen across northern Europe and Sweden
suffers economic impacts from becoming an importer of energy, these same
parties will be the first to try and blame anyone but themselves for the mess
they have created.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health [Air Pollution Control]
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674
email: radiumproj@cs.com