Re: Sweden says ok to scrap 2nd nuke -CO2 vs. Hg from coal

At 22:10 07.08.2000 -0500, you wrote:

>In a message dated 8/7/00 11:48:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>sandyfl@earthlink.net writes:
>FROM A NEWS REPORT:
>
>> Environmentalists have warned that deregulation of the Nordic power
>>  market means, for instance, that Danish coal-burning power stations
>>  can sell cheap power, but the hidden social cost is higher carbon
>>  dioxide emissions.
>>
>======
>Radsafe:
>I find it interesting that the only environmental impact mentioned in this
>Reuters news article about scrapping some nuclear plants in Sweden is
concern
>with CO2 from Danish coal-burning. carbon dioxide/greenhouse effect impacts
>from coal over the intermediate to long term is still being debated by some
>in the scientific community. However, the real present environmental problem
>from coal burning across Europe and northern  regions like Sweden and
Denmark
>is mercury pollution of almost all lakes, even the most pristine from
>airborne mercury deposition from fossil fuel combustion. ...

Stewart,

While I agree with your posting, I respectfully disagree with fuel
combustion as the only source for mercury water pollution. If I remember
correctly, it was in the 70's, when the mercury poisoning of lakes was
detected and warnings for consumption were issued. The source of mercury
was the paper industry. Mercury was used to prevent microbial growth during
the process of paper making and was washed out into the rivers and lakes.
Additionally fish tend to accumulate mercury the same way as certain
mushrooms accumulate Cs-137. This accumulation has for instance been also
found in thuna. Since most mercury compounds in fish are very volatile
there was a lot of analytical problems to verify the actual content of
mercury in fish, which lead to confusion for many years.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Please note my new telephone number at my office!

Office:
Ministerialrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71100-4458