Re: Hirsoshima observes 55th anniversary of bombong

I believe way beyond the shadow of a doubt that President Truman made the correct decision.  My Father and wife's father were posed to invade the, then Japanese aggressor (who knows I or my wife might have never been). I sincerely believe that the people of Japan, who now represent a new generation, have new ideals and this is good. The one question for everyone I have is that do they remember that Germany and Japan during WW II were developing their own capability for nuclear destruction. If those oppressive dictators had achieved the technology first what state would the world be in?  Food for thought.
--

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:48:29    Sandy Perle wrote:
>> > Young women place floating lanterns in the river at Peace Memorial Park to
>> > pray for the A-bomb victims.
>> > After a one-minute silent prayer held under the scorching sun at 8:15 a.m.,
>> > when the atomic bomb was dropped on the city 55 years ago, Mayor Tadatoshi
>> > Akiba delivered an annual peace declaration.
>
>Having stood in the Peace Memorial Park recently, one can only
>reflect on war and peace, life and death, and, the ability of a
>community to rise from the ashes and build a city as marvelous as
>the Hiroshima of today is. Whether or not the bomb was necessary
>is not an issue. However, hopefully the generations of today and
>tomorrow will learn from the past and do whatever is necessary to
>not repeat that past.
>
>Hiroshima has become a symbol. It is a lesson we all need to learn
>from. I am only sorry that it has been used (and abused) by many,
>in exploiting the tragedy for their own political, and non-scientific
>agendas.
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
>Director, Technical				Extension 2306
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
>ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
>ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>
>Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205