Re: Sweden nuke thread vs. Mercury in coal airborne impacts

>Sweden was a world leader in working out analytical techniques on >mercury
>in fish and in carrying out early environmental research of >the mercury
>contamination discovered in the environment there in the >1960s.

My professor in nuclear chemistry, Torbjörn Westermark, was to my knowledge,
the first in the world to determine mercury in birds feathers (as controls,
samples from museums were used). The technique was probably neutron
activation. The time may have been around 1959 (my guess). It is good that
mercury (and its alkyl forms) was brought up - it was indeed a big problem
here with relations to the acidification of lakes (a number of fish species
in many lakes - perhaps with emphasis on pike - couldn't be eaten for many
years).

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com