Re: Sweden nuke thread vs. Mercury in coal airborne impacts

 Interesting note - pike are one of the few fish that can survive in water that is pH 4.0-4.5, is it that they can survive higher levels of mercury too? A lower pH aids in solubilizing heavy metals.  One might be able to tie this in with acidic rain.
--

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:23:47    Bjorn Cedervall wrote:
>>Sweden was a world leader in working out analytical techniques on >mercury
>>in fish and in carrying out early environmental research of >the mercury
>>contamination discovered in the environment there in the >1960s.
>
>My professor in nuclear chemistry, Torbjvrn Westermark, was to my knowledge,
>the first in the world to determine mercury in birds feathers (as controls,
>samples from museums were used). The technique was probably neutron
>activation. The time may have been around 1959 (my guess). It is good that
>mercury (and its alkyl forms) was brought up - it was indeed a big problem
>here with relations to the acidification of lakes (a number of fish species
>in many lakes - perhaps with emphasis on pike - couldn't be eaten for many
>years).
>
>Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

HotBot - Search smarter.
http://www.hotbot.com