Re: Sweden nuke thread vs. Mercury in coal airborne impacts

In a message dated 8/8/00 10:46:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lexicon@hotbot.com writes:

> Subj:  Re: Sweden nuke thread vs. Mercury in coal airborne impacts
>  Date:    8/8/00 10:46:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From:    lexicon@hotbot.com (Tom Savin)
>  Sender:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>  To:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
>
>   Interesting note - pike are one of the few fish that can survive in water
> that is pH 4.0-4.5, is it that they can survive higher levels of mercury
too?
> A lower pH aids in solubilizing heavy metals.  One might be able to tie
this
> in with acidic rain.
>  --

Radsafe:
None of the Hg levels in fish are any health problems for the fish to my
knowledge. See my prior post for summary of evidence of link between
protracted acid rain and increasing bioconversion of sediment bound inorganic
mercurials based on solid research out of the University of Mass. Water
Resources Center in research in Quabbin Reservoir, in central Mass.

Stewart Farber, MSPH
email: radiumproj@cs.com