RE: Melanoma cancer/UV info

I am not aware of any studies suggesting that "visible" radiation was likely
an important carcinogen.

There is plenty of information showing that ultraviolet radiation (UVR -
sometimes called ultraviolet "light") is associated with various skin
cancers (including malignant melanoma), accelerated skin aging, cataract and
other eye diseases, and possibly has an adverse effect on a person's ability
to resist infectious diseases.

At the earth's surface, the sun's spectrum includes ultraviolet radiation in
the UVA and UVB regions and, of course, we are exposed unavoidably to this
radiation when outdoors (unless we adopt sun protective behavior
strategies). The sun is the principal source of UV exposure for most people;
I wonder if the original questioner is ascribing the possible health effects
due to UV radiation to visible radiation from this ubiquitous source.

Eric Cowdrey, M.Sc. (Physics)
Radiation Protection Officer
Department of Medical Physics
CancerCare Manitoba