RE: Melanoma cancer/UV info

Visible light from fluorescent lamps produce UV in addition to the total
spectrum of visible light waves as well which combined appear as
white(heterochromatic) and very dispersed.  Fluorescent lights are filtered
with the plastic cover to reduce the UV levels.  Lasers produce
monochromatic light either red or green and can concentrate the beam, I am
not sure these beams are pure since the rubies etc used act as filters only?
These concentrated beams produce heat much the same way radiowaves and
microwaves do and indirectly form reactive products that might effect DNA.
Some of the products of heat will be products of the cell "heat shock
response" and other injury induced chemical and messenger systems. just
sheer replacement of cells due to heat killing etc might also contribute to
initiation events. I have not read the papers referenced on the visible
light effects but I find it difficult to adhere to the direct effect
mechanism.  All cells that use oxygen must be protected from reactive oxygen
and some of its products but may be unable to handle excess due to heat
shock or other processes, where as white blood cells have a huge arsenal for
this molecular battle, which includes making use of reactive Oxygen in the
phagocytic process.

There is other interesting work developing with UV induced positive ion
transfer along a DNA chain which causes the chain to break when two adjacent
guanines exist that capture the charge and cause the chain to break. This
might ultimately lead to misrepair as deletion, frameshift or substitution
mutation.