H3 Exit signs

Gerald Nicholls (Radsafe digest 3347) reported that 2 incidents involving
smashed H3 building exit signs cost >$50K each to clean up.

Commercial aircraft contain several of these H3 signs. I don't recall any
attention being paid to the cleanup of H3 at crash sites, but it may be
something the press is not reporting (is that possible?). I presume that
these will occasionally be destroyed in the more violent accidents with a
subsequent release of H3. Has anyone out there participated in monitoring,
removal or evaluation of H3 from destroyed exit signs at these wreck sites?
Have exposures to emergency workers ever been detected/documented?

Is this something with the potential to cause someone a significant exposure
(the signs contain several Curies of H3 - or at least they did years ago) or
is this a non-problem?

Lew
510 242-7040
lcoo@chevron.com