RE: Melanoma cancer/UV info

Fluorescent lights produce UV initially, this is converted to visible
frequency peaks by the phosphors coating the tube; hence the name
_fluorescent_.   I'm less than totally sure that the plastic is intended
primarily as a filter - it's mostly for esthetics, but that it does absorb
some UV is obvious from the yellowing and embrittlement of the plastic
diffusers.

The crystal in a ruby laser is not a filter, it is the lasing substance.
The atoms of the crystal are energized by a flash of light from an external
source, in a fluorescence process. The coherence comes about from a cascade
effect, where photons stimulate more atoms to emit more photons. This is
reflected in the name: laser is an acronym for Light Amplification by
Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

Dave Neil		neildm@id.doe.gov

		If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you
tried.