A Technical (Licensing) Question!

     RADSAFERs,

     I actually have a technical question that I am hoping someone can
     assist me with. I've been looking through 10 CFRs, becoming more
     frustrated the more I look (Imagine that!) Here's the question: What
     quantity of SNM (Pu 239/240) requires a license for possession, use,
     etc.? A regulatory citation would be great.

     Here's a little background information: We have analyzed samples from
     the ducting in a radiochemistry laboratory that is slated for
     demolition. If we count the samples long enough, a few show extremely
     small trace amounts of Pu 239/240. I'm not completely convinced that
     it's really there, but I can't positively rule it out either. It seems
     to me that a concentration and/or quantity below which licensing is
     not required would be in the regulations somewhere, but I've not found
     it. If I find a few atoms of SNM in an entire building, is a license
     needed?

     Thanks in advance,

     Steve

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP