Re[2]: Hiroshima observes 55th anniversary of bombing

     Of course, now the inevitable complaint will arise from someone
     that no one else really had a chance to 'win' the race to build the
     first bomb, that the war would have ended soon anyway, that the
     U.S. really had no reason to build the bomb, and that by going
     ahead, the U.S. opened the door to the arms race, let the nuclear
     genie out of the bottle, etc. etc.

     To build upon what Tom and Tosh have stated:

     (1) it was wartime, and everyone did what they could not to lose;
     and

     (2) Someone, somewhere was going to develop the bomb in time. Those
     who put this guilt trip on the U.S. ignore the fact that the
     physics of nuclear weapons have always existed.  The discovery of
     these laws and the development of the technology to exploit them
     was inevitable, if not by the U.S. in the 1940's, then by someone
     else a few years later.

     To make the development of nuclear weapons someone's 'fault' seems
     as pointless to me as to trying to pin blame on the first alchemist
     who discovered gunpowder.  It seems we would be better off putting
     our energies into making the world rational enough that no one is
     tempted to use them (and the irrational ones can't get them).

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com