Re: The "From" bug strikes again :-)

To clarify the previous url:

 Captives of Their Fantasies: The German Atomic Bomb Scientists
 Irving M. Klotz Department of Chemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston,
IL 60208-3113

 When the Nazi government collapsed in May, 1945, an Allied intelligence
mission took into custody nine of the German scientists who played key roles
in the German atomic bomb project. Under great secrecy these men were confined
in a large country house, Farm Hall, near Cambridge (England), and their
conversations were recorded surreptitiously by hidden microphones in every
room. The transcripts were kept TOP SECRET for 47 years and were finally
released recently. They give fascinating insights into the personalities of
the guests and invaluable information on what the Germans really understood
about the physics and chemistry of a nuclear reactor and an atomic bomb.

 The Farm Hall transcripts clearly establish that (a) the Germans on August 6,
1945 did not believe that the Allies had exploded an atomic bomb over
Hiroshima that day; (b) they never succeeded in constructing a self-sustaining
nuclear reactor; (c) they were confused about the differences between an
atomic bomb and a reactor; (d) they did not know how to correctly calculate
the critical mass of a bomb; (e) they thought that "plutonium" was probably
element 91. The Farm Hall transcripts contradict the self-serving and
sensationalist writings about German efforts that have appeared during the
past fifty years.

 Citation: Klotz, Irving M. Captives of Their Fantasies: The German Atomic
Bomb Scientists J. Chem. Educ. 1997 74 204.

And the note that Heisenberg was one of those detained. Dr. Sohei Kondo, then
a physics student and entered Hiroshima a few days after the bomb, has said
that the Japanese were then not able to consider making a bomb.

Many Japanese acknowledge that the bomb stopped the war and saved many
Japanese lives (likely more than US lives). A recent documentary on Discovery
Channel (older history) showed that even after the second bomb there were
serious questions of whether to stop the war, and makes the case that the
prime motivator to the Japanese leadership, from their own sources, was the
Russian entry into the war and effective invasions into Japanese-held
territory, and that more directed threatened the actual invasion and loss of
Japan to the Russian instead of the Americans.

The Hiroshima Museum is very credible. It shows Hiroshima's war role and that,
while it had not likely been bombed because of being selected as an a-bomb
target, the great devastation and loss of life of the fire bombings on Tokyo
and other cities did not make Hiroshima unique in facing the ravages of the
war. (Of course, this also applies to Dresden and other German cities hit by
successive waves of incendiary bombs from more than a thousand bombers in a
night - timed to hit people after they had emerged from the previous attack.
There is perhaps ever greater question about that campaign as valid war
targets.)

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net