wartime ethics

I think we've heard more than enough on the perceived evils committed by
both sides during World War II.  Apparently, like with scientific
revolutions, old animosities will only fade away when the last practitioner
dies.  Or maybe not even then, since so many in the US South still consider
our Civil War to be an on-going struggle.  On the other hand, the British
seem to have finally forgiven us for our transgressions in 1776 and 1812,
the Canadians no longer fortify their borders against American armies, and
most of Europe seems to have gotten over Napoleon and the minor disturbances
he cause.  And, in fact, the Chileans seem to have forgiven us for far more
recent meddling in their internal affairs, that didn't even have the excuse
of wartime, as have so many of our Cold War opponents.

The bottom line is that war sucks, people on opposite sides tend to take
umbrage over being shot at, and there should be some sort of statute of
limitations on voicing hard feelings.  I have visited Japan on several
occasions and I have Japanese friends.  I have found the country to be far
cleaner and better organized than most I have visited, the people I have met
are generally polite and honorable, and there is a much longer and more
distinguished culture in Japan than in most other parts of the world.  That
is the Japan of today, and I do not think it appropriate to criticize the
Japanese of today for the sins of their fathers.

I, among others, would greatly appreciate calling an end to the needless
Japan-bashing that has taken place on Radsafe in the past week.  At this
point, the only thing it is accomplishing is to reduce my respect for those
who insist on continuing it.  If you wish to respond, please do so OFF-LIST
to avoid dragging 6000 other Radsafers into another conversation they seem
to have no interest in.

Andrew Karam, CHP              (716) 275-1473 (voice)
Radiation Safety Officer          (716) 275-3781 (office)
University of Rochester           (716) 256-0365 (fax)
601 Elmwood Ave. Box HPH   Rochester, NY  14642

Andrew_Karam@URMC.Rochester.edu
http://Intranet.urmc.rochester.edu/RadiationSafety

The brain is a wonderful organ.  It starts working the moment you get up in
the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.
Robert Frost