Re: Thyroid cancer: Chernobyl

The source for 1800 thyroid cancers is the UNSCEAR 2000 (May Report), June 6
issuance of Press Release and Report to General Assembly. They do not report
deaths. The date are in Appendix J, which I do not have.

However, there was a ref to "one death" earlier in this work, no basis for
reducing from the 3 previously reported. (Some early reports included very
low-dose areas, so perhaps 2 were determined not be to Chernobyl-exposed? The
deaths were due to treatment failures - they should not have occurred.)

There are no other adverse health effects, as of 14 years, from Chernobyl.

I can send these electronically. (Plus the UNSCEAR ltr to the Secretary
General commenting on the UN Agency that claims that Chernobyl is a large and
continuing disaster. It is a good resource for editors/reporters that a conned
by the "Chernobyl children" Public Relations stunt by the anti nukes.)

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net
Radiation, Science, and Health

Patricia Milligan wrote:

> sent mymessage out without signature..sorry..
>
> the number of deaths reported in the 10 year follow up was 3 fatalities.  (OECD 1996  "Chernobyl
Ten years On.  Radiological and Health Impact.  An Appraisal by the NEA
Committee on Radiation
Protection and Public Health" (Paris: Organziation for Economic Cooperation
and Development,
Nuclear Energy Agency) pp 112.