Re: RE: Thyroid cancer: Chernobyl

sent mymessage out without signature..sorry..

the number of deaths reported in the 10 year follow up was 3 fatalities.  (OECD 1996  "Chernobyl Ten years On.  Radiological and Health Impact.  An Appraisal by the NEA Committee on Radiation Protection and Public Health" (Paris: Organziation for Economic Cooperation and Development, Nuclear Energy Agency) pp 112.

Patricia A Milligan, CHP
pxm@nrc.gov
301-415-2223

>>> Peter.Vernig@med.va.gov 08/10 10:02 AM >>>
Bjorn,

I don't remember seeing any number for deaths.  But 597 or something just
under 600 was the number of cases reported in the ten year follow up
studies, I believe.

Peter G. Vernig
vernig.peter@med.va.gov

---
I heard/saw somewhere not long ago a (low) number for the thyroid cancer
deaths among "Chernobyl" children. (I don't want to mention the approx.
number since it may be wrong and also since I don't remember the source -
let me just say that it was _much_ lower than 1800).

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com