Teeth and other studies

Dear Edith,

OK, it is possible that the study into "nuclear power" is warranted.  The
only suggestion is that it should be addressing not only the "nuclear
power", but the exposure to ionising radiation in general.  I am sure that
children living on 'radioactive beaches' in Northern Sri Lanka and in
India's Kerala State receiving doses of ionising radiation immeasurably
higher than any child in the US due to operation of all nuclear power
stations taken together.
I am not even talking about Ramsar area in Iran...  What about them?
(Dear Radsafers, if someone can let me know about the results of any
epidemiological studies for the regions above, it will be greatly
appreciated).

The biggest problem with interpretation of results of such 'general' study
would be finding a balance between protection of the public and the common
sanity based on quite 'shaky' statistics...
Without such a balance we might as well ban all air travel above 500 m off
the ground and shut down coal fired power stations together with nuclear
ones (since, if I am not mistaken, they release more 'radiation' than
nuclear ones).  Oil and gas should also not be extracted and used due to
radioactivity in scales and sludges, which will need to be disposed somehow.
And, of course no fertiliser is to be used...

So far, the biggest problem as I see it (just quoting myself here):
1.	Those who have the knowledge are not trusted by the public to tell
the whole truth, since they are seen as being mainly concerned about their
posts and funding.  (I am not aware about this happening lately, though the
'Chernobyl saga' is both unforgettable and unforgivable...)
2.	The so-called "lay' public is considered by scientists as not being
able to understand ionising radiation and effects of exposure.  The usual
argument is that "logical reasoning will be substituted by emotional
reaction at the very moment the word 'radiation' is mentioned, so why
bother?"   (Unfortunately this is often the case...)

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Nick Tsurikov
Eneabba, Western Australia