Re: Why study baby teeth?

Hi Ted,

Having been off this list till recently due to technical difficulties, I've
forgotten that I better be darn precise in my wording with you guys and gals!  ;)

So, let me re-phrase what I wrote. The NJ Department of Health and the NJDEP are
continuing to conduct studies to determine why there is such a high rate of cancer
in the Toms River area. Edith would be more familiar with the
exact nature of these studies. From what I've read in the newspapers, suspected
culprits include Ciba-Geigy and other chemical manufactures. Radon in wells could
also be a contributing factor.

The hypothesis of the TFP is not that continued exposure to low level radiation
casues cancer, but that this exposure
weakens the immune system and thus allows toxins in the environment, like cancer
causing chemicals, to have a stronger impact. Oyster Creek, which has one of the
highest rates of radiation emmissions over its lifetime, would seem to be an perfect
place to test this theory.

Much of this was batted back and forth during discussion of the "Mangano Report" a
few months ago.

peace
norm

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,
Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);