RE: Radiation Evolutionary Effects

I read an article that you might be interested in called "Odd Microbe
Survives Vast Dose of Radiation" by Malcolm W. Browne, and refers to a paper
"published in the current issue of the journal science" by Dr. Kenneth W.
Minton and Dr. Michael J. Daly at Bethesda, MD.  I'm not sure when the
article was printed.

Apparently the bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans was exposed to 15,000 Grays
of ionizing radiation, and survived!  It apparently contains several copies
of it's chromosomes, and uses the copies to form temporary bridges while
reassembling the chromosomes.

There's a similar article with further references online at
http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc98/12_12_98/Bob1.htm
and tons of site matches come up on a search for Deinococcus radiodurans on
Yahoo.

		Tim Allen
		Senior Laboratory Technician / Radiation Safety Technician
		601A Bicentennial Hall
		Middlebury College
		Middlebury, VT 05753
		Phone: (802)443-5729