Toms River "Cancer Cluster"

I would urge those interested in the investigation of the statistically
significantly increased incidence of childhood cancer in Toms River, NJ
(Dover Township) to forego debate until the massive federal and state
investigation, begun in March 1996, is completed.

The lead agency for this investigation is the New Jersey
Department of Health and Senior Services.  My agency, the NJ
Department of Environmental Protection provides technical and
administrative support.  Involved federal agencies include the Agency for
Toxic Substances and Disease Registry and USEPA.  NJDHSS and
ATSDR have issued seven public health assessments relating to Toms
River.  Since March 1996, public meetings have been held virtually every
month with the citizen's group representing area residents (Citizens
Action Committee on the Childhood Cancer Cluster).

A case-control epidemiological study of 40 cases matched to 160
controls and spanning 20 years is being conducted by NJDHSS and
ATSDR.  A final draft report on the study is anticipated in December
2001.

On average, water quality in the Toms River area is very good.  Some
wells, have however, been contaminated by a plume of chemical
contaminants from one of the Superfund Sites.  In these instances,
treatment systems have been installed to remove Safe Drinking Water
Act contaminants and one contaminant unique to this site (styrene
acryolnitrile trimer).  A toxicological study of the trimer is being conducted
by USEPA with funding support from the responsible party.
Outside my office are more than 200 3-inch 3-ring binders containing
analytical data on water quality in the area.  Water monitoring is
continuing.

Oyster Creek is approximately 10 miles south of Toms River, at the edge
of the EPZ.  Areas in between Oyster Creek and Toms River do not
show an increased risk of childhood cancer. NJDEP monitors air, water,
sediment and food stuffs from the area using pressurized ion chambers,
TLDs and environmental samples.

Two Superfund Sites in the area are being extensively investigated.
Rutgers University researchers are evaluating retrospective air
exposure pathways for chemicals and radiological contaminants  via
dispersion modeling collection of attic dust.  Oyster Creek has provided
them with met data.

Union Carbide and Ciba Geigy, the responsible parties for the two
Superfund Sites, are cooperating in the investigation.

I have left out many of the details but my point is that it is premature to
extensively debate the possible results of an investigation this large in
scope well in advance of its completion.   If anyone would like any
further information, please call or e-mail me.

Gerald Nicholls
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
609-633-7964
gnicholl@dep.state.nj.us