nagasaki marks anniversary

magnu96196@aol.com wrote:

> Source:
> <A HREF="http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20000810a1.htm";>
> http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20000810a1.htm</A>
> August 10, 2000
>
> CALL ISSUED FOR NUCLEAR BAN
> Nagasaki marks anniversary of 1945 atomic bomb attack
> NAGASAKI (Kyodo) Nagasaki commemorated the 55th anniversary of the U.S.
> atomic bombing of the city Wednesday with a call for nuclear powers to
> immediately begin multilateral talks so a treaty banning nuclear weapons can
> be concluded as early as possible.
>
> Nagasaki Mayor Itcho Ito made the plea in a ceremony attended by about 28,000
> people at Nagasaki Peace Park, near the point where the bomb exploded Aug. 9,
> 1945, killing an estimated 73,800 people.
>
> Ito recounted the horrors of the bombing, saying, "Heat rays with an
> intensity on the ground of several thousand degrees instantly burned people's
> bodies, charring them black (while) invisible radiation invaded and destroyed
> people's cells and tissues, swiftly resulting in yet more death." Nagasaki is
> 300 km southwest of Hiroshima, the first city to experience to an atomic bomb
> attack. An estimated 140,000 people died as a result of the Hiroshima
> bombing, which took place three days before the devastation of Nagasaki in
> the closing stages of World War II.
>
> "Nagasaki has remained the last battlefield where nuclear weapons have been
> used, with the unspeakably tragic experiences having served as preventative
> forces," Ito said in his declaration of peace.
>
> Ito welcomed a commitment made in May by the five major nuclear-armed states
> to eliminate all nuclear weapons, and supported the idea of a general and
> complete disarmament.
>
> "The voices of concerned people from around the world were successful in
> eliciting agreement from the nuclear weapons states," he said.
>
> At 11:02 a.m., the time the city observes as the moment of the explosion, the
> attendees offered a silent prayer as a bell resounded through the park in
> downtown Nagasaki.
>
> Representatives from seven of Japan's leading political parties, including
> two party leaders, attended the ceremony, as did House of Representatives
> Vice Speaker Kozo Watanabe and House of Councilors Vice President Hisamitsu
> Sugano.
>
> Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori noted in his address that nongovernmental
> organizations will gather for a meeting entitled the Nagasaki Global Citizens
> Assembly for the Elimination of Nuclear Weapons in autumn.
>
> At the beginning of the ceremony, Ito and two Nagasaki citizens placed on a
> stage three books listing 2,603 people who died between Aug. 1, 1999, and
> July 31 and whom the city office recognizes as victims of the bombing.
>
> Akio Nakashima, an atomic bomb survivor who was 18 when the bomb was dropped,
> read out a "pledge for peace" and a poem.

> [...]

Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);  norco@bellatlantic.net;  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:  http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND
JUSTICE WEBSITE:  http://members.bellatlantic.net/~norco/  ICQ# 54268619; The Coalition for Peace and Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.
“We have two lives, the one we’re given, and the other one we make” (Mary Chapin Carpenter)
“Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights...Get up, stand up, don’t give up the fight!” (Bob Marley)