Re:A Technical (Licensing) Question!

Steve:

I'm currently involved in the decommissioning of a laboratory building
contaminated with another transuranic element (i.e., Am-241).  We drafted a
decontamination plan which is currently being reviewed by the NRC in order to
become an amendment to the university's RAM license.  The surface contamination
limits/release criteria are established in the decontamination plan.  Once all
impacted surfaces are demonstrated to be below the release criteria (using
MARSSIM survey methodology), then the building will be turned over to the
university for unrestricted use.  Licensing issue resolved.

So, I guess it just depends on what your applicable surface contamination
free-release limits are.  Three options I've seen used include:

1.  The good-ol' Reg Guide 1.86 values (still popular)
2.  NUREG-5512 values (usually the most conservative)
3.  Calculate your own values with RESRAD or the D&D code using site-specific
factors and an appropriate baseline TEDE value (check with your local
regulator).

Hope this helps.

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT
rodney_bauman@wssrap-host.wssrap.com