The Tooth Fairy project

In a message dated 8/10/00 9:01:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Norm Cohen
writes:

<< When we had this discussion about the Tooth Fairy Project a few months
ago, this  line of reasoning was brought up and rejected. The fallout
argument is not
 sufficient because Sr-90 levels in baby teeth should be going down if the
Sr-90 was
 from fallout. Sr-90 levels in teeth in the Toms River area are at levels
equivalent
 to teeth tested in the late 1950s, when above ground testing was at its
height. The
 point of the TFP is: if the Sr90 can not be attributed to  fallout, because
with half-lives, the amount of Sr90 should now be mininal, where is the rest
of the Sr90 being found in teeth coming from? The only answer I can see is
that it comes from nuclear reactors, perhaps a little leakage from
underground testing, and weapons labs. >>

Norm,

I think that you will find that Sr-90 peaked in the environment in the early
1960s, not in the late 1950s, as you say.  The significance of this is that
teeth collected in the late 1950s may not be a suitable yardstick for
comparison with teeth collected today, as you imply.  The Soviets and the
U.S. exploded an enormous number of nuclear weapons in the atmosphere in the
early 60s, just prior to the atmospheric test ban treaty.  This added
inventory may very well have contributed to the relatively high (compared to
the late 50s) level of Sr-90 in recent teeth.  In addition, rainfall patterns
can play an important role in removing radioactive materials from the
atmosphere, so that the levels of  fallout are not uniform around the
country.  Comparing Sr-90 in teeth,  as you are trying to do, is a more
complex chore than you realize.