Re: oyster creek emissions/ note from norm re: posting/edith g

In a message dated 8/11/00 12:53:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
norco@bellatlantic.net writes:

<< Much of the releases from Oyster Creek came in the 1970s.  For some reason,
 > after 1979, levels plummeted at every plant.  We don't know what happened,
 > but we have every reason to be suspicious, especially since the Three Mi.
 > Island accident occurred in 1979.  But these are the official figures. >>

I think the reason Iodine numbers have fallen is a direct result of better
fuel and power plants being more experienced in taking good care of the fuel.
 All power plants work very hard to ensure foreign material does not get into
the plant systems and cause minor defects in the metal fuel cladding which
permits Iodine levels in the coolant to increase.  Other reasons could be the
fact that after TMI, perhaps all the plants reduced their limit for
acceptable levels of Iodine in the coolant or perhaps the NRC mandated a
lower limit.

As was stated earlier, everything is public record.  Why not call your plant
of interest?  If a plant truly had a situation which caused elevated Iodine
levels in plant systems, they would most certainly have investigated it
thoroughly and have a root cause.  I believe plants also are required to
submit other operational reports to the NRC besides their effluent reports
and such a report might help you find answers.

There is no reason to be suspicious.  There are too many normal people living
in too many normal communities around the US to keep such a secret about an
Iodine conspiracy.  Besides, the Clinton administration already shares all of
our best secrets.

Good luck in your search for the smoking gun, but I like many thousands of
other nuclear workers who live in the communities surrounding the plants, I
don't think you'll find one.  There are probably a million more worthwhile
pursuits you could spend your efforts on to make the world a better place.

Glen Vickers
Nuclear Power HP