Re: from lochbaum, differences in biological effects of radiation

>Sr-90, because it is man-made, can act as a marker, it can point
>the finger right to the offending emitter, in this case, nuke plants<

Sr-90 is just as much (or more) a marker for atmospheric fallout as for
nuclear power plants.  For that matter, it is also produced in the canyon
processes used to separate plutonium and in some cases to treat waste.  It
is a constituent of high-level radioactive waste stored  at various sites.
Sr-90 capsules are used as a heat source in a variety of applications.  All
of these are anthropogenic sources.  So yes, if you want to say that
detection of Sr-90 in an environment means that there was some anthropogenic
radioactive material around, yes, you can say that, but because of the
fallout contribution, it's not a marker for any particular source.
Definitely not a "finger pointer."

Sr-90 and its daughter Y-90 (half life 64 hrs) are beta emitters (a beta is
an electron and has a relatively short path in tissue because it carries an
electric charge and is easily deflected).  If Sr-90 is incorporated into
bone it will continue to decay to Y-90 (which decays to stable Zr-90) and
emit betas, which can damage nearby cells.  It is incorporated into bone
(and teeth) because it is chemically very similar to calcium (not because it
is radioactive) and is metabolized much as calcium is.  I don't know
anything about immune system damage -- I thought radionuclides were
carcinogens -- but then I am not a physiologist or doctor.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.cim