Re: from lochbaum, differences in biological effects of radiation

Norm writes:

 >Do we keep piling up tons of nuclear waste until "eventually" the problem is
 >solved? Do we keep using coal and nuclear for power generation until
 >"eventually" global warming and radiaition issues are solved, or do we
 >insist on massive investments in green/alternative forms of energy. I agree
 >that radsafers care
 >about the public; we just have some different perceptions of things.

Let me see if I get this straight.  You are against the use of nuclear
power, but also concerned about the use of coal because of global warming?

This is the totally irrational view that frustrates the thinking among
us!  It seems that if one truly believes in the "problem" of global
warming, they would be marching in protest demanding that we build 500 new
nuclear plants and shut down fossil-fuel plants ASAP!  There is very little
doubt that any of the coal-fired plants with existing technology put more
of that scary radiation stuff into the environment in one day than nuclear
plants will in a year!

And, to answer your specific questions, yes we should continue using
fossil/nuclear until we have better solutions available to us.  Most
reasonable thinkers don't believe that "green" alternatives (solar, wind,
hydro, etc.) are viable alternatives except for a fraction of our needs and
they are very expensive and have significant negative impacts on workers
and the environment.

The only problems with solving the nuclear waste issues are political, not
technical.  If this country actually had an energy policy, we could ensure
that there was an adequate power supply without significantly impacting our
health or the environment.

I certainly share fellow lister's consternation with trying to
educate/enlighten the anti's and the general public who seem to believe
that actors, actresses, Rosie O'Donnell, etc., are actually valid sources
of scientific and technical information!